FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Oct. 20, 2016
QUEEN’S PARK – In the wake of revelations the government spent more money on consultants and advertising for the Ontario Energy Support Program than actually helping ratepayers struggling with their bills, Haldimand-Norfolk MPP Toby Barrett encouraged local residents who qualify to take advantage of the program.
Earlier this week, Opposition Leader Patrick Brown questioned the Minister of Energy in regards to spending $9 million of the Ontario Energy Support Program on consultants. Another $2.5 million was spent on advertising to promote the program.
The Ontario Energy Support Program was designed to assist seniors, those on fixed incomes and in poverty pay their electricity bills. It is funded through a levy all Ontario residents pay on their electricity bills.
“I didn’t realize that it was a subsidy program for Liberal consultants and ad people,” Brown said in the Legislature. “This was meant for low-income families. That’s what this is about. This is money meant for low-income families, not high-priced Liberal consultants.”
In addition, it was found only 137,000 Ontario families accessed the 500,000 eligible spaces for OESP.
“This is a double slap in the face to Ontario residents,” Barrett said. “Not only did the government squander money that should have been used to assist seniors and those on fixed incomes, but they did it with money paid for by every other electricity consumer in the province.”
With the announcement of two by-elections set for Nov. 17, the Ontario Energy Board said Wednesday the monthly electricity cost for those using Smart Meters will remain unchanged on Nov. 1.
For more information, contact MPP Toby Barrett at 519-428-0446 or [email protected]