FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 18, 2019
SIMCOE — Ontario’s government is investing in what matters by nominating the Long Point Causeway bridge to the federal government for approval as part of an effort to improve the province’s infrastructure, create jobs and grow the economy.
Haldimand-Norfolk MPP Toby Barrett announced today the province has nominated the causeway bridge infrastructure project to the federal government, as part of the Rural and Northern stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
“The causeway bridge is not only a crucial link, it’s the only link by road between Long Point and the mainland,” Barrett said.
The provincial contribution will be $1,666,500.
The federal government will review these projects and make final funding decisions.
Construction of the Long Point causeway commenced in 1927. The bridge to be replaced crosses Big Creek, close to where it enters the Inner Bay.
“We’re continuing to work with municipalities, families and businesses, to make smart investments in our infrastructure, and keep it reliable,” says Minister of Infrastructure Laurie Scott. “Our investments are creating jobs and growing the economy, shaping the future for hard-working families in Ontario.”
- The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program is a
10-year program that provides up to $30 billion in federal, provincial and
local investments in communities across the province. Funding will be
distributed between four streams:
- Rural and Northern
- Public Transit
- Community, Culture and Recreation
- Ontario’s share per project will be up to 33.33 per cent, or about $10.2 billion spread across the four streams.
- The Rural and Northern stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program was launched on March 18 and closed on May 14, 2019.
- The first Public Transit stream for municipalities outside of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) launched on April 2 and closed on May 28, 2019.
- In May 2019, the government nominated five additional major transit projects in the City of Toronto and Region of York to the federal government for approval.
- In June 2019 the government nominated 10 transit projects in the city of London to the federal government for approval.
For more information, contact MPP Toby Barrett at 519-428-0446 or [email protected]