Douglas Creek Estates subdivision has been occupied for 15 years: Barrett

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Feb. 18, 2021

QUEEN’S PARK – Haldimand-Norfolk MPP Toby Barrett rose in the Ontario Legislature to point out Caledonia’s Douglas Creek Estates subdivision has been illegally occupied for 15 years now.

Pointing to the exact date of the Douglas Creek Estates occupation, Feb. 28, 2006, Barrett said there has been “15 years of road blockades, detours, confrontation and intimidation.”

He also noted the one year anniversary on Feb. 24 of the Highway 6 blockade in support of the national Wet’suwet’en pipeline protest, part of the Shutdown Canada movement.

“As with railroads across Canada, last February also saw the shutdown of the CN line that runs from Caledonia down to the Nanticoke industrial park,” he said. “This followed police action to clear the Deseronto railway blockade, following a statement by Prime Minister Trudeau that blockades ‘must come down and the [court] injunctions must be obeyed, and the law must be upheld.’”

Those remarks were echoed by Premier Ford, who said, “Enough is enough. The illegal blockades must come down.… The federal government must coordinate action to take down these illegal blockades across the country.”

Speaking to the most recent occupation, of MacKenzie Meadows subdivision and the blockade of local streets in Caledonia, the Highway 6 bypass and rail lines, Barrett said blockades are being removed.

“Highway 6 reopened February 10,” he said. “Argyle repairs finished up today, McKenzie Road will be repaired in two days, and they are inspecting the CN rail, I’m pleased to report, as of today.”

-30-

For more information, contact MPP Barrett at 519-428-0446 or [email protected]

Video link: https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F100002252157929%2Fposts%2F3652811594803876%2F%3Fd%3Dn&data=04%7C01%7Ctoby.barrett%40pc.ola.org%7C335e073dc90f419c3b4f08d8d4556118%7C6b9fd2ec77a64ae0822a6bb9108fb274%7C0%7C0%7C637492810454647297%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=UOzOX3g1MFkekZ%2FWxmS3KYxjPZkw4TLdx2WYZTOIOi8%3D&reserved=0

ONTARIO LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY

Draft Hansard

Feb. 17, 2021

EVENTS IN CALEDONIA

Mr. Toby Barrett: This month marks the unfortunate 15th anniversary of the occupation of Caledonia’s Douglas Creek Estates subdivision—February 28, 2006 to be exact—marking 15 years of road blockades, detours, confrontation and intimidation. More recently, February 24 last year, provincial Highway 6 was blockaded at Caledonia in support of the Wet’suwet’en pipeline protest, part of the Shut down Canada movement.

As with railroads across Canada, last February also saw the shutdown of the CN line that runs from Caledonia down to the Nanticoke industrial park. This followed police …

… last February also saw the shutdown of the CN line that runs from Caledonia down to the Nanticoke industrial park. This followed police action to clear the Deseronto railway blockade, following a statement by Prime Minister Trudeau that blockades “must … come down” and the court “injunctions must be obeyed, and the law must be upheld.”

1020

Premier Ford echoed these sentiments. “Enough is enough. The illegal blockades must come down.… The federal government must coordinate action to take down these illegal blockades across the country.”

July 19, last year, another subdivision was occupied: McKenzie Meadows. In August, destruction ensued. By October, Highway 6, the Caledonia Bypass, the CN line, McKenzie Road and Argyle Street were all blockaded. Highway 6 reopened February 10. Argyle repairs finished up today, McKenzie Road will be repaired in two days, and they are inspecting the CN rail, I’m pleased to report, as of today.