Simcoe – The continued wasteful spending of Ontario tax dollars only buys more lost jobs and a deeper debt.
That from Haldimand-Norfolk MPP Toby Barrett following Opposition Leader Tim Hudak’s appeal for straight talk and bold ideas in confronting our jobs and spending crisis, at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) annual conference in Ottawa
“Tim understands that given the hole the McGuinty government has dug us into, we’ve got our work cut out for us,” Barrett said. “That’s why Tim outlined four key ways we can work with local governments to stop overspending and kick-start job creation.”
1. a legislated, across-the-board public sector wage freeze at the provincial level.
2. fix a broken public sector salary arbitration system that awards outsized settlements.
3. bring an end to closed tendering for municipal construction contracts.
4. bring an end to unaffordable subsidies for wind and solar energy contracts, which includes giving local governments their voices back.
Barrett went on to say that urgent action is needed because the money’s run out: “We’re on track to a $411.4 billion debt. Nearly 600,000 Ontarians are out of work. Reckless provincial government overspending is putting priorities in our cities and towns at risk.”
For more information, please contact MPP Toby Barrett at: (416) 325-8404,
(519) 428-0446 or 1-800-903-8629